It’s never hard for me to get the girls to finish their bowls with this recipe (even if they do pick around the onions). The recipe usually makes 1.5 full pans so you can easily freeze one for later. Tip on freezing: freeze before you add the dough. Warm up the chicken and mixins then add the dough once reheated. I love anything I can double up on and freeze!
Bonus tip: Cut biscuits and add a piece of cheese in the middle before baking… in case you want to get a little crazy! This was Maggie’s idea!
3 – 4 Chicken Breasts
Bottle of Italian Dressing, or marinade of your choice
1 yellow onion
2 cups chopped carrots
2-3 cloves of garlic
¼ cup flour
6 cups chicken broth (I use low sodium)
2 22.6 oz cans cream of chicken soup
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
3 cans of Pre made refrigerated biscuit dough (I use Pillsbury)
1. Marinate 3-4 chicken breasts. I usually mix them in a bag with some Italian dressing and refrigerate them for a few hours.
2. Grill chicken and shred or cube when fully cooked.
3. Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees.
4. Pull out your baking pans. I use a 9 x 13 AND an 8 x 8. The 8 x 8 is perfect for the freezer or makes a great meal to give.
5. In a stove top dish (I use my dutch oven), melt a tablespoon of butter or olive oil and add the onion. Cook until soft (3-4 min), then add carrots and garlic, cook until softened.
6. Stir in flour to thicken.
7. Add chicken broth (slowly), stirring to incorporate the flour.
8. Add cream of chicken soup, and stir until well mixed.
9. Bring to a boil and simmer for about 8 minutes.
10. Fold in cheddar cheese, and simmer a few minutes more, just to melt.
11. Remove from heat.
12. Pour into prepared pans and add dough to the tops. You may end up with a few leftover biscuits. You can throw on a pan, bake and serve. I usually just find any holes on the top of the bakes and squeeze in the extra biscuits. It doesn’t have to look pretty!